The AIHV was founded by Dr. Joseph Phillipe, Director of the Musee Curtius of Liege, in 1956. The first Congress of the organization, then called the Journees Internationales du Verre, took place in that city in 1958. Our membership includes archaeologists, art historians, artists, collectors, museum curators, scientists and researchers from over 30 countries.
Every three years we hold a congress where research papers are delivered and special exhibitions viewed. Visits are organised to museums, galleries and private collections. These congresses also provide the opportunity to socialise in pleasant surroundings and meet one's fellow enthusiasts. The last congress was held in Fribourg and Romont, Switzerland in September 2015. Earlier ones have been held in Berlin, Damascus, London, Prague, Nancy, Madrid, Basel, Vienna, Amsterdam, Venice and Milan, New York and Corning, Antwerp,Thessaloniki and Piran.
The next Congress of the International Association for the History of Glass will take place in Istanbul, Turkey at 2018.
The Association is governed by statutes laid down under Dutch law. The official languages are English, German, and French and papers may be delivered in any of these three languages at the conference, and subsequently published in the Annales in them. For everyday communications to the members only French and English are used.
Membership of the AIHV is open to all. Students are admitted free of charge, for others there is an annual subscription. Currently we have 312 members in 33 countries.
The AIHV is governed by a board and an Executive Committee elected by the General Assembly of members meeting at each Congress.
In some countries the membership has formed national committees and the Board is always eager to encourage members in countries without such committees to form them. National committees often organise conferences and events between the major international congresses.